Tips for Disposing of Hazardous Waste
Waste disposal management is no joke. It’s important to ensure that all hazardous waste is transported and disposed of properly. If the correct environmental guidelines aren’t followed, it could lead to serious concerns regarding pollution and overall environmental safety. At High Country Vac Services, we offer a variety of waste disposal services for commercial and industrial clients alike, including simple transportation and the disposal of corrosive and non-corrosive materials.
What Is Hazardous Waste?
Hazardous waste is any type of waste that could pose a threat to human or environmental safety. Here are a few different types:
- Manufacturing materials
- Biomedical waste
- Motor oil
- Unused cleaning products
- Discarded batteries
- Animal remains
Types of Hazardous Waste
The different types of hazardous waste can be sorted into different categories based on the dangers they pose to human and environmental safety.
- Ignitable: can easily catch fire
- Corrosive: capable of corroding metal containers
- Reactive: can cause toxic fumes or explosions when heated
- Toxic: can be harmful and potentially fatal if ingested or absorbed
What Can I Do to Dispose of My Waste?
Proper disposal of hazardous waste is more than just a concern for the environment and your health. In Calgary and many other Canadian cities, there are legal guidelines by which you need to abide, especially if your waste is the direct result of commercial or industrial production. It’s important to research your local laws before going about the disposal of your hazardous waste. The following are a few ways that you can dispose of your household waste:
- Home pickup service: many communities have pick up services that will come to your home and haul hazardous waste for a fee.
- Drop off facility: many cities will have a local drop off facility where you can go to dispose of hazardous waste (in Calgary, there are multiple fire stations and landfills that act as drop points for hazardous waste).
- Home disposal: if you’re disposing of waste at home, please refrain from pouring it down your drain or toilet. If it’s necessary to throw in the garbage, please keep it separate from all other trash.
If you’re in need of waste haulers in Calgary, contact High Country Vac Services today. We offer the services you need to dispose of industrial hazardous waste quickly, safely and effectively. For more information regarding waste hauling or hydro excavation, we invite you to explore our website and start down the path to a safer and more efficient way to dispose of your hazardous waste.